Monday, March 6, 2017

SOLSC #6 - The Loose Tooth

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.


The Loose Tooth

Last night, my daughter got her first loose tooth. She was biting into a chicken nugget, got a weird look on her face and then loudly exclaimed, "I have a loose tooth!" The timing was auspicious because she has a dentist appointment today (Monday) to pull four baby teeth on the bottom. They are not loosing up but the adult teeth are starting to emerge. My wife never had a loose tooth and ended up at the dentist getting most of her teeth pulled and early indications are that my daughter is the same way.


We had just finished explaining the dentist plan to her about ten minutes before the chicken nugget (they are homemade) caused 'the loosening.' The rest of the evening was spent wiggling the tooth, worrying it with her tongue, eating apples, reading Andrew's Loose Tooth by Robert Munsch for bedtime, and a few half-hearted attempts to grab onto it, by yours truly. Clara was really excited and also sensitive about her tooth. She often cries 'tears of joy' when emotions feel big, even if they are not related directly to sadness, fear, and anger. Last night was no exception. We had tissues for tears, tissues for tiny amounts of blood, and tissues to clean up melting ice. 

This morning, the first thing she asked me was to try and wiggle her tooth out. It's not that far along and it's really hard to grab onto those little milk teeth, even with a tissue. I don't know if it will come out in school today (I hope so for her to have the story and sharing) but I do know the next time I see her, there will be a big gap in her lower jaw. 































1 comment:

  1. I loved this slice! It reminded me of my losing my first tooth and how excited I was. I can't wait to read the next part of the story!

    ReplyDelete