Monday, March 27, 2017

SOLSC #27 - Rainy Day in a Small Town

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.



Rainy Day in a Small Town

We are visiting my 95 year-old grandmother in Kennebunk, Maine for our spring break. It's not exactly an exciting spring break and the weather is less than optimal for walks outside when she needs a break. But, after a morning and lunch of catching up, Bubba (What I named my grandma when I was two) was clearly ready for a break until dinner time.

So with three hours on out own and a dreary sky casting down a steady rain, we decided to go for a walk. Kennebunk and across the river Kennebunkport, are lovely little towns with long histories. The houses and shop fronts are nothing like we experience in Colorado. But it's also not tourist season and most of the shops are closed, including the cozy-looking coffee shops where we could warm up with a little nip.

But the library is open.

It's a large sturdy, brick building with two stories and a friendly atmosphere. Each floor is full of inviting rooms with built-in book cases, large windows, comfortable chairs and boat paintings and models. On the first floor, a small room with even smaller door gave me my first clue that it once was a bank. With a few questions, I learned that was indeed the case. Next it became the customs house for all of Maine, before that operation was moved to Portland in the 1920s. At that time it was bought and donated to the library district. This library is almost 100 years old!

So while I slice on a computer in the YA room, my six year-old daughter sits in a cozy window seat reading Dr. Seuss and Mo Willems books, and Susan does some book browsing of her own. The rain outside is steady from low clouds. Inside it is bright and warm and I'm going to start reading an interesting book (chosen by it's cover) and see if it would be good to buy for my classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I love this area, but I have only been there in the summer. Thank heaven for the libraries. I tried to go to the library in Denver today, but it's closed for Cesar Chavez Day. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kennebunk is indeed a beautiful coastal town - in the summer that is. But ahh.. thank goodness for libraries. Libraries bring comfort every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that area!!! Haven't been in a while. Portsmouth is my favorite. Do you ever go there?

    ReplyDelete