Wednesday, March 15, 2017

SOLSC #15 - Spring Poem

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.




Signs of Spring:

Yellow daffodil buds bob above
Wrinkled purple and white crocuses
Thirsty grass shoots up new green and begs to be watered
Flocks of robins flit through the trees
Starlings share time with flickers
As they dig through the thawed ground in my backyard
Great-horned owls sit on nests on branches still bare of leaves
And the geese flocks shrink by twos as the long-necked lovers begin their mating dances

Flags snap tight as the wind
Blows away the detritus of winter

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, for me your poem started a bit cliched and then surprised me with some very original, intense images. As I re-read it a few times I realize you begin at ground level and bring your eyes upward- love that! You also go from fragile (grass shoots) to powerful (great-horned owls.) My favorite lines are the last 3.

    ReplyDelete