Sunday, March 5, 2017

SOLSC #5 - Awakening Moments Slice

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.



Awakening Moments Slice

I was dreaming in the way I dream, right before I wake up. Images and story lines zipping along in fast forward, trying to finish up before consciousness. There was some thing like a suspended obstacle course and perhaps a race. It was the second lap of the race or just a repeat of the dream to do it better but my dream definitely had a deja vu quality. The dream never reached its end because...

"A NEW TOOTHBRUSH! IT'S FINDING DORI!"

"What honey?" replies my wife.

"Oh...I'm so happy!"

"Dad made a really good choice."

"Yes he did," followed by noises that I imagined a happy dance might produce.

The excited shouting person was my six-year-old daughter, who had just found the new toothbrush I left of the stairs last night. Due to life being busy this weekend, I did the week's grocery shopping during her bedtime last night and one of the forty-four items on the list was a new toothbrush for Clara. My wife was already up and now, so was Clara. I experienced this conversation as it echoed up the stairs, into our bedroom and to my warm nest under the covers. 

"Dad did good,"  I thought as I rolled over to try and find my dream again and learn who won the race.

















photo credit: mag3737 Tooth, brush via photopin (license) 
photo credit: duncan Neon toothbrush via photopin (license)

3 comments:

  1. Ha. This sounds like my brother who wakes up super early, and proceeds to very loudly talk all around the house. Nice slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those moments when reality mixes in with dreams. Nice work, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny, and I hope you did find that dream again. However, I think metaphorically you did win the race.

    ReplyDelete