Thursday, March 16, 2017

SOLSC #16 - Conferences

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.




Conferences:

My school does Student-Parent-Teacher conferences three times a year: August, November and March. For 30-45 minutes at a time, students share portfolios of their best work, reflect on their learning, discuss their goals and awkwardly acknowledge shortcomings. I'm blessed to have students for two or even three years so the growth I get to witness is nothing short of astounding.

Today, a student had her last conference with me, after walking in three years ago, scared, lonely, anxious, proud. We have been through a lot of tears, edits, smiles, setback, and successes. As she walked in with he mom and sat down to share, it was all I could do not to shout, "Look how tall you are! Hear how funny your writing is! I love how you advocate for yourself! I'm about to cry thinking of not having you in class next year!"

Tomorrow, I will doing it again, 7:30-5:00, with a 45 minute lunch break. Another  long day. Another joyous day. Another sad day. Five have been with me for three years and will be moving on. Several for two years and will be leaving with another piece of my heart. And some will be coming back and we will talk about our future class and what we want from next year.

This afternoon younger student, walking down the hall with her mother, told me she hoped I was her teacher next year. I was grateful and embarrassed and thankful. And I smiled.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so cool that they get to share a portfolio of their work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three times a year and 45 minutes each time. That is a lot. But I know it is worth it. Conferences are celebrations. Here is my slice on about conferences: https://justforamonth.blogspot.com.ee/2017/03/the-evolution-of-school-conferences.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I'm certainly glad that conferences are over but I guess a little part of me will miss them. I know that my last conference was a lot like the one you talked about with your older student. :)

    ReplyDelete