Monday, March 13, 2017

SOLSC #13 - Animal/Raptor List

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.


Animal/Raptor List - 

Today we my class took a trip to a ranch with a replica of a fort on it, up near Greeley, Colorado. We didn't go to see the fort, we went to see the South Platte River, which runs across the property, and talk with some water managers about how water rights work in Colorado. While it was a little chilly, with the sun behind the clouds and a humid wind zipping by, I love that we get to go out into the world and experience it. I, of course, paid close attention to the guest speakers and learned quite a bit myself. But what really makes these trips for me is the chance to be outside, looking for animals and animal signs. That's my passion, and always has been. So here is my animal list from the day.

Immature bald eagle flying across I-70 on the way up
A golden eagle  near Greeley
Several great blue herons throughout the day
Two mature bald eagles while driving home, both near Barr Lake
Countless hawks, mostly red-tailed and Swainson's
A marsh hawk, viewed through the fort window, that was looping up and down over the flood plain
My first meadowlark song on the year!
Raccoon tracks along the river and several deer tracks too
Coyote scat
A two-day old calf, wobbly next it's long-horned mother
Great Horned Owl, sitting on it's nest in a tree. Viewed from I-70 as we entered Denver city limits

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading Jurassic Park, so when I saw "Animal/Raptor" list my mind automatically jumped to a velociraptor. Did you actually see a Great Horned owl? I wish I had...

    ReplyDelete