Friday, March 31, 2017

SOLSC #31 - That could be a slice, Dad!

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.



That Could be a Slice, Dad!

I've been slicing all month and my 6 year-old daughter has been an inspiration for many of them. Actually, Clara has been an inspiration for countless slices the past four years and this is the first year she's shown some interest in my writing. We have been having discussions about why I choose the slices I do and she is asking if various things that have happened might make a "good slice." So here are some slices she suggested over the past few days:

- A walk on the cold and windy beach up in Maine where we found a perfect sand dollar, watched snails move and saw a live clam with its "foot" out of its shell.

- When she lost her small stuffy that she had just bought with her own money. We looked all around the car, retraced our steps through my grandma's retirement home, and had given up. It was found after 25 minutes of tears and searching in the handle above the door where she had placed it for safe keeping.

- A fashion show while trying on outfits during a shopping trip.

- Finding a huge and intact moon shell on the beach. She heard a mermaid splashing in it!

- How the beach changes with the tides each day. She was amazed that the waves were crashing right where we had been walking a few hours earlier.

- Her jumping in piles of yellow foam that the wind and waves were pushing up onto the wet sand.

So these are some great ideas for me to keep going with my slicing and my writing overall. Thanks for another great month everyone! 

My final tally this year is 30/31 days with another day where I was about an hour late. I wish I were still perfect but I'm still proud of my efforts. I'm even more proud of my students who did such an amazing job of slicing, especially since they only had school 14/31 days during the month. Most sliced all 31 days!

2 comments:

  1. You are raising a writer! You should each write about the same moment and publish side by side. Congrats to all your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until she can do the slicing to! That is awesome that she in interested

    ReplyDelete