Tuesday, March 21, 2017

SOLSC #21 - Classroom Loft

For the fourth year, I am participating in the SOLSC and guiding students from my classroom and my school on the same writing journey. Here is the link to our school blog and the 15-20 students who are participating in the Classroom Challenge.



Classroom Loft 


My middle school classroom is set up as a core class, much like younger elementary classrooms. The students spend most of their time with me and I get some planning time during their electives and math classes. Most of their academic skills are worked on with me via their individual units. They are also given a list of projects to work on for the week and then large blocks of time to do them.

So with all that set up; over the summer, I built a loft in my classroom.

My students all have seats around the room and there are a few common tables for group work, but the loft has created a lovely additional workspace. Students can work up top writing or typing on the bench, hang out below, or even lay back on the pillows and while holding laptops, look like they might be working. While it takes some clear rules and a little personal responsibility, my students have handled the privilege of the loft well throughout the year. I can't believe it took me so long to build one.





9 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea. That is a very cool thing to have in a middle school classroom, and I am sure that your students love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would LOVE a loft in my middle school classroom. This is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I would love one for my fifth grade classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have one in my classroom for years as well. The kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, really impressive! I love the writing desk you built on the top level! What a fun space to write in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fabulous! What a great addition to your space. I'm not surprised that it's a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we switch classrooms for a day? I think it might be interesting to work in the loft :) Or you know I could sneak into your class, me being a honorary member and all that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should just come work in the loft "Bucky." Let your teachers know where you are and do work and you're welcome anytime.

      Delete
  8. This is amazing!! How original. I'm sure your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete